Landlord & Tenant

Learn more about landlord and tenant issues, the responsibilities of being a successful landlord and how good property management techniques can improve your chances of financial success in the often complex world of property ownership.

Being a property owner and landlord can be an extremely rewarding experience. However, to be a successful landlord requires many factors including the ability to develop good landlord – tenant relations, property management experience, sound financial management and a lot more. In fact, it is true to say that good property management is essential to any successful property investment strategy, it can help to safeguard rental income streams and positively impact property asset values.

Investment Property Partners have brought together a series of helpful guides, articles and other resources written specifically for property investors, landlords and property owners covering property asset management, landlord and tenant issues, day-to-day property management and more.

More Landlord & Tenant Resources…

Parry's valuation and investment tables

Parry’s Valuation & Investment Tables for Property Investment Appraisals & Valuations

Richard Parry’s Valuation and Investment Tables were first published in 1913 and they have now become a must-have calculation tool for students, surveyors, property professionals, investors and real estate developers involved in property valuation, development and investment appraisal techniques.

Parry’s valuation and investment tables are used extensively throughout the professional property and real estate investment sectors and form an essential tool that no serious property investor should be without.

Read more

Tenancy agreements - Beginners guide for landlords

Tenancy Agreements – Beginners Guide for Landlords & Property Investors

Tenancy agreements are an essential component in the life of any buy-to-let landlord or property investor… or at least they should be. If you are a landlord or you rent residential property to tenants then it’s important that you are familiar with the basics of tenancy agreements, how they operate and how they work to protect the rights of both landlords and tenants.

Investment Property Partners beginners guide for landlords and property investors covers the most of the basics of tenancy agreements, what information should be included in an agreement, tenant deposits, the rights of both landlords and tenants, and how to end a tenancy.

Read more

Party walls

Party Walls & The Party Wall Act 1996 – Guide for Property Owners

Many property owners, property developers and investors and have never heard of party walls or the Party Wall Act of 1996. However, if you fall in to this category and you decide to carry out works to a wall that you share with a neighbour it is more than likely that you’ll need to get up to speed with your rights and responsibilities… and quickly!

The fact is that if you share a wall with an adjacent property you have a legal responsibility that comes from the Party Wall etc Act 1996, particularly if you are planning to carry out certain building works, alterations or excavations to that shared party wall.

Read more

Lease extensions and extending leaseholds

Lease Extensions – Extending Leaseholds for Tenants & Landlords

Lease extensions, specifically for residential property held on long leaseholds are becoming more popular for many people. There are many reasons why a tenant, property owner or investor would want to extend a residential lease. Some of the biggest reasons driving the popularity for extending leaseholds include increasing property values, improved security of tenure and increasing its attractiveness to future buyers.

Investment Property Partners property investors guide to lease extensions covers a number of important issues that you may wish to consider if you are considering extending a the lease on a residential property.

Read more

Renewing or ending a business lease

Renewing or Ending a Business Lease – Commercial Property Guide

If you are a business owner or property manager and rent commercial property for your business in the UK then you should understand how business leases operate, especially what is involved in renewing a business lease or if you no longer need the property, how to end a business lease.

Ending, or indeed renewing a business lease is usually pretty straight-forward, but only providing you understand the specific legal procedures involved and go about it in the correct way.

Read more

Tenancy agreements, Assured Shorthold Tenancy, Regulated and Assured

Tenancy Agreements – Assured Shorthold Tenancy, Regulated & Assured Tenancies

If you are a buy to let landlord or you rent residential property to tenants in the UK then it is important that you are familiar with the different types of tenancy agreements that are commonly used in the private rental sector. You should learn how to recognise the main forms of tenancy agreement and know where to use them including Assured Shorthold Tenancy agreements (ASTs) Regulated Tenancies and the more basic Assured Tenancies.

Investment Property Partners landlords and property investors guide to tenancy agreements covers the most common forms of tenancy agreement used in the UK, where to use them, and the rights of both landlords and tenants given under the agreements.

Read more

Evicting problem tenants and possession notices

Evicting Problem Tenants – How to Serve a Possession Notice

As a sensible residential landlord and buy-to-let property owner you will always quite naturally be very careful about the tenants you rent your properties to. As a matter of course you will usually vet them thoroughly before reaching any agreement and carefully check-out their personal and financial background to make sure that they are of good character and financially sound… and in most cases they will be. However, when things go wrong and you are unfortunate enough to be landed with a problem tenant then you’ll need to understand what your rights are and what to do about it, and this might involve familiarity with various processes including how to serve a possession notice, how to go about evicting problem tenants and the recovery of rent arrears.

The vast majority of tenants are happy to abide by the terms or their lease, pay their rent on time, treat your property with respect and generally present you with very few problems.

Read more

Dilapidations and commercial property lease repairs

Dilapidations & End of Lease Repairs – Commercial Property Dilapidations Claims

In simple terms, dilapidations are a landlord – tenant issue primarily associated with the breach of a tenants repairing obligations under the terms of a commercial property lease. Dilapidations typically relate to any redecoration, reinstatement or repair works that have not been completed by a tenant, usually at the end of their lease, and which constitute a breach of the terms of that lease.

Typically a tenant’s failure to comply with their repairing and reinstatement obligations at the end of their lease will mean that the landlord is entitled to claim damages from the tenant in the form of dilapidations.

Read more

Selling property using an estate agent

Selling Property using an Estate Agent

To get the most out of buying and selling property, whether it be your home, a buy-to-let property investment or even commercial property you’ll need that expert touch, ideally from someone with the right local knowledge, experience and ability to access local property buyers and sellers… and this is where good local estate agents or commercial property agents come in to their own.

In the UK estate agents often get a bad press, but in actual fact their job is an extremely valuable one when it comes to helping property investors buy and sell property quickly and efficiently.

Read more

Licensing houses in multiple occupation

Licensing Houses in Multiple Occupation (HMO) – Applying for a Licence

If you are a property owner or landlord of a large house or residential property that is let to multiple tenants then you may find that you need a formal HMO licence to do so. If the property has three or more storeys and five or more tenants who form more than one “family household” then the property is considered to be a House in Multiple Occupation or HMO and as such you must ensure that you have a valid HMO licence in place.

Read more